Text-on-Top Wireless Devices Display Captions On Top of a Presentation
Text-On-Top, a pair of USB devices that allows for wireless captioning, is a great solution when a presenter needs real-time captions embedded on a projector display—e.g., on top of a PowerPoint. This article will explain how to connect Text-On-Top with TypeWell. While it may seem like a lot of steps at first glance, the connecting process is simple and can be completed in 10 minutes or less on your first attempt.
First, here is a visual to show what Text-On-Top looks like when projected on top of a PowerPoint.
- When you order Text-On-Top, you will receive two USB drives. Connect one device to your transcriber computer and the other device into the computer that will be connected with the projector.
- Open the TEXT-ON-TOP drive (usually named the ‘D:’ drive) on both computers and select the .exe file to install the program.
- On the transcriber computer, select the first icon which is titled “Speech-to-text Reporter”. On the computer that will be used with the projector, select the second icon which is titled “Presenter/Beamer”. [Note: the captions on the icons are hard to read unless the popup box is expanded.]
- Go into Edit > Preferences on the transcriber computer’s Text-On-Top program. As shown below, check “Network feed”, click the “Start” button which will then display “Stop”, check “Start Automatically”, click “TypeWell”, and uncheck “Concatenate paragraphs”.
- Open your TypeWell Transcriber or Connect program. Under the “Link” menu, click “By Simple TCP/IP”. Check “Enable Simple TCP/IP Linking”. “TCP/IP” address should be 127.0.0.1 and “Port” should be 9740.
That’s it! If you have followed the above steps correctly, the real-time captions transcribed in TypeWell will now be overlaid on top of any program that the laptop connected to the projector uses.
Within Text-On-Top on the transcriber computer, you can make some changes to the appearance of the embedded captions.
Click “Hide” to remove the captions on the screen, which is helpful when a captioned video is being displayed:
Click Edit>Preferences>Remote appearance to change the font size/background/color of the captions:
There are multiple other settings you can alter within the program to get the captions to appear just as the client needs. We love Text-On-Top for its quick and easy implementation, stability, and customization abilities.
Visit http://text-on-top.com/en/ for more information and ordering. This blog post is not a paid advertisement. If you know of other technology or services that are useful to TypeWell transcribers, let us know so we can share with our readers!