Updated April 27, 2020 –
Relief programs, financial assistance, and unemployment resources are available for those impacted by COVID-19.
Below are some online resources to help TypeWell transcribers, small businesses, and employers navigate this difficult time.
NEW: Please complete our coronavirus impact survey online!
Eligibility for relief programs and benefits may vary by state.
U.S. Self-Employed Individuals
- Unemployment Benefits Finder – Select your state to find details on their unemployment insurance program, including any additional flexibility offered to those impacted by Coronavirus.
- “Here’s What the Relief Packages Give Self-Employed Workers” (NY Times)
- PPP Loans Coming for Independent Contractors and Self-Employed Individuals
- IRS Pushes 2020 Tax Filing and Payment Deadline to July 15. Here’s What That Means for You
- Collecting Unemployment When You’re Self-Employed
- FAQs: Employee Retention Credit under the CARES Act (Internal Revenue Service) – As part of the federal CARES Act, the Employee Retention Credit aims to help employers keep employees on their payroll during COVID-19. Eligible businesses can claim a tax credit of 50% of the first $10,000 of each qualified employee’s wages (including qualified health plan costs). This tax credit will be applied toward an employer’s share of Social Security taxes.
- Deferral of employment tax deposits and payments through December 31, 2020 (Internal Revenue Service) – As part of the CARES Act, employers can defer the employer portion of their federal Social Security taxes for the rest of 2020.
- Paycheck Protection Program (Small Business Administration) – NOTE: There is confusing wording under “Who Can Apply” that could be interpreted to mean you must have 500+ employees. Companies with fewer than 500 employees can apply!
- How to Decide Whether to Furlough or Lay Off Employees
- How to Emotionally Manage Your Team During Emergencies
- U.S. Department of Labor Announces New Guidance on Unemployment Insurance Flexibilities During Covid-19 Outbreak
- How Do I File for Unemployment Insurance? (U.S. Department of Labor)
- Coronavirus Sick Leave and Unemployment Benefits
- Paid sick leave: Who gets it during the coronavirus outbreak
- COVID-19 Resources (Benefits.gov)
- An Employer’s Guide to Navigating the Coronavirus
- Where Can I Find My State’s COVID-19 Employer Resource Website?
U.S. Small Businesses:
- COVID-19 Tax Relief Measures for Every State
- CORONAVIRUS EMERGENCY LOANS Small Business Guide and Checklist (U.S. Chamber of Commerce)
- Disaster Loan Assistance – Federal Disaster Loans for Businesses, Private Nonprofits, Homeowners, and Renters
- COVID-19 Relief Resources for Small & Midsize Businesses (spreadsheet)
- COVID-19 Loan and Relief Resources for Small Businesses
- Everything Small Businesses Need to Know About the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- Facebook Small Business Grants Program
- Small Business Survival Guide to Combat COVID-19
U.S. Mortgage Assistance:
Canadian Individuals & Employers:
Canadian Small Businesses:
- Resources for Canadian businesses – Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
- Small Business Resources for Dealing with COVID-19
Canadian Mortgage Assistance:
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates (Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation)
What’s your experience so far?
Chat with us online or via social media, email us at support [at] typewell.com, or call OR text (SMS) at (844) 897-3935.
Photo credit: by Bytemark on Flickr