Transcribing Course Equipment Requirements
The student will need a notebook computer, access to a printer, access to the internet, an email account.
A steno table and roller bag are also recommended.
Make sure it's clear between you and the candidate which of you is providing the equipment!
Often the sponsor provides the equipment for the course.
The student must use a notebook computer, not a desktop computer, for the transcribing course.
The computer used by a transcriber during the course should have:
Here are more details about notebook computer and software requirements.
Also, if you want the course computer to be used later to provide transcribing services, click the Tech link above, then look for the Equipment section for after-course computer requirements.
Ability to run PC-compatible programs;
- At least 32 meg of RAM (256MB recommended);
- A working sound system for playing sound to a headset;
- At least 500 meg of free disk space on the C: drive;
- A comfortable built-in keyboard (use of an external keyboard is not permitted, contact us for details);
- A built-in pointing device (use of an external mouse is not permitted, contact us for details);
- A Web browser (just the program, no connection to the web needed);
- Windows Media Player version 7, or higher;
- Windows XP or higher recommended (or Apple Macs with special software);
- Note: Internet access directly from the laptop computer is not required during the course, but see Internet access section, below..
Several of the lessons will require the student to print multiple pages.
The course computer does not have to connect directly to a printer to do this.
The file can be saved to a writeable output device (e.g., USB key drive, etc.) and printed using a different computer.
Directions for doing this will be sent with the course software.
Throughout the course the student will need regular access to email. The student:
- does not need email access on the course laptop.
- does need email access on some computer.
- should use only one email account for communicating with the TypeWell teaching team, to avoid misdirected messages.
- should check email every day for possible messages from our teaching team that will affect work in the lessons.
The student will also need regular access to the internet to visit his or her personal course account.
- does not need Internet access directly from the laptop computer.
- does need Internet access from some computer.
- must sign into the course account after every lesson to turn in the latest assignment and to get a password for the next lesson.
- should use an internet computer that can accept files from a PC writeable device (e.g., USB keydrive).
Some lessons will require the student to copy a special file from the course program, and upload it to the internet account page.
Directions will be included with the course software.
The student will need to have a phone to receive calls, for those times when email isn't appropriate and our teaching team needs to talk with the student.
A work area that is ergonomically correct is important.
Use of a steno table and roller bag during the course is strongly recommended.
Often the sponsor provides this equipment.
Next read about reports we send during the course.
Copyright 2013 Catalina Solutions LLC
TypeWell® registered with the U.S. PTO, 2010